Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Fri September 13, 2013
Ed Officials To Meet With Westfield State Chief
The head of the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education says he wants to meet with Westfield State University President Evan Dobelle to review his spending.
Higher Education Chairman Charles Desmond said in a letter to Dobelle Thursday that a report about expenditures of state funds including credit card expenses incurred by university employees "raise serious concerns" about their appropriateness.
Desmond said he and other top state education officials want to meet separately with members of the Westfield State Board of Trustees.
The report found Dobelle billed the foundation for more than $200,000 in travel, meals and entertainment. Dobelle has said the spending has been to promote the university and repaid some.
In a letter to Desmond, Dobelle said that he welcomes the opportunity to meet to discuss the appropriateness of what he described as investments.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.