Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Tue January 22, 2013
Educators Respond to Budget Proposal
Education and Medicaid comprise 50-percent of the state budget. Governor Cuomo’s proposed education budget will continue several of the funding programs that were enacted in the last budget appropriation.
NYS School Boards Association Executive Director Timothy Kremer says he is favorably impressed with the Governor’s plan.
NYS Association of Small City School Districts Executive Director Robert Biggerstaff is pleased there is a 4.4-percent increase, but was disappointed by a couple points.
School Administrators Association of NYS Director of Government Relations James Viola found several good items in the executive budget.
The Governor is proposing allowing resort casino development in New York State. It’s anticipated that 150 million dollars in revenues could be generated and Cuomo wants 90-percent to go to education and 10 percent to hosting communities for property tax relief.
New York News
NY Safe Act of 2013