Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
- From The Museum To The Dorm Room: Williams Art Loan Program
New York News
Tue May 28, 2013
Effort Emerges To Solve Local NY Government Crisis
A New York county executive plans to announce a new effort to bring fiscally stressed local governments together to share their best ideas before they become "distressed" under a new state definition.
Ulster County Executive Mike Hein wants local governments to help each other before they reach the "distressed" status that could trigger state involvement in restructuring local operations.
He will announce a series of statewide forums today to identify the ways local governments have eased their fiscal pain that, left unchecked, can mean higher taxes and reduced or eliminated services.
Hein is president of the New York State County Executives Association and has discussed the effort with Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.