Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
New York News
Tue May 28, 2013
Effort Emerges To Solve Local NY Government Crisis
A New York county executive plans to announce a new effort to bring fiscally stressed local governments together to share their best ideas before they become "distressed" under a new state definition.
Ulster County Executive Mike Hein wants local governments to help each other before they reach the "distressed" status that could trigger state involvement in restructuring local operations.
He will announce a series of statewide forums today to identify the ways local governments have eased their fiscal pain that, left unchecked, can mean higher taxes and reduced or eliminated services.
Hein is president of the New York State County Executives Association and has discussed the effort with Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.