Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Thu September 20, 2012
Enrollment Surge Reported At UMass
Enrollment at the University of Massachusetts is surging. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The number of students enrolled in the five campus system has jumped 16 percent in the last five years according to a report by U Mass President Robert Caret that was presented at a meeting Wednesday of the board of trustees. Total enrollment this year is 71,000, a record. The number of students enrolled has grown by 13,000 over the past decade. Caret attributed the growth to the university’s quality and affordability compared to private schools. Freshman enrollment at the flagship Amherst campus was actually down by a couple hundred students from a year ago. The university said that was by design because of facilities changes resulting from the ongoing construction of a new honors college.