Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
New England News
Thu March 27, 2014
Environmental Advocates Rally Against Fracking In Massachusetts
Environmental advocates are planning to rally at the Statehouse in Massachusetts to urge lawmakers to pass a ban on the natural gas drilling technique called hydraulic fracturing or fracking.
The group Environment Massachusetts said they're planning to release a collection of personal stories from individuals affected by fracking across the country during the Wednesday event near the main entrance to the Statehouse.
In November, a legislative committee approved a bill that would place a 10-year moratorium on fracking, which involves blasting chemical-laden water deep into the ground. The measure has yet to come up for a vote before the full Legislature.
Supporters of the technique say it's a safe method for extracting natural shale gas that would otherwise remain trapped underground, and can help lower energy prices.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.