Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
New York News
Tue April 22, 2014
Environmental Groups Ask NYSDEC To Provide Details On Crude Oil Shipments In Albany
A coalition of environmental groups and local residents is asking the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to set a deadline for a crude oil shipper to provide more details on its Albany port operations.
A letter sent to DEC Monday by Earthjustice, other environmental groups and Albany residents and officials seeks details on Global Companies' current and planned operations by May 3.
The groups have raised safety concerns over increased shipments of North Dakota crude oil to coastal refineries by rail and Hudson River barge, after several devastating spills and derailments in other states and Canada last year.
A DEC spokeswoman said the DEC won't make final determinations on pending permit applications until Global provides the required information and the public has the opportunity to review it and respond.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.