Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Thu June 27, 2013
Environmentalists Urge Mass. Ban On "Fracking"
Environmentalists are pressing Beacon Hill lawmakers to back a bill that would ban the practice of fracking in Massachusetts.
Fracking refers to the natural gas drilling technique known as hydraulic fracturing that pumps pressurized water mixed with sand and chemicals into well holes to crack open fissures in the ground.
Many environmental groups oppose the process saying it can lead to contaminated drinking water.
The group Environment Massachusetts delivered what it said where the signatures of 11,000 Massachusetts residents to lawmakers supporting a bill that would block the practice in the state.
Rep. Denise Provost is one of the sponsors of the bill. The Somerville Democrat said she's concerned about what she called the toxic waste generated by fracking.
Vermont last year became the first state to ban fracking.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.