Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Fri July 27, 2012
Equine Encephalitis Virus Found in Pittsfield Mosquito
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health confirmed Friday that they discovered evidence of more mosquitos carrying infectious disease in Pittsfield.
State health officials announced that Equine Encephalitis virus was detected in a specimen sampled from the Williams Street area of Pittsfield. The city has announced that they will treat the area with insecticide.
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is warning that those under 15 and over 50 are at the greatest risk for serious illness.
No human cases of the disease have yet been confirmed. Earlier this month, a mosquito carrying West Nile virus was also detected in Pittsfield.
Lucas Willard, WAMC News.