Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Around the Nation
Mon February 20, 2012
Escaped Emu Runs Around Vermont Island
Originally published on Mon February 20, 2012 6:56 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. The people of the Champlain Islands in Vermont are aflutter over a big bird on the loose. A 150-pound emu escaped from his pen five weeks ago. Last week, it was spotted outside an elementary school. A maintenance worker tried to lasso the elusive emu with an extension cord, but the big, flightless bird got free. The owner placed an ad in a local paper that says: Free emu if you can capture it. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.