Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
Mon July 23, 2012
Essex County Officials Want Whiteface Road Fixed
Some Essex County officials are calling on the state to fix the popular scenic highway that travels up Whiteface Mountain near Lake Placid.
A member of the Essex County Board of Supervisors, Roby Politi, tells the Plattsburgh Press-Republican that the Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway is in terrible shape and unsafe. He says thousands of people drive up the toll road to the summit of Whiteface each year but the state has paid little attention to maintenance.
The highway is owned and operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority, which charges $10 per vehicle to drive it.
ORDA spokeswoman Wendy Townsley says some repairs are being done on the highway.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.