Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Mon July 23, 2012
Essex County Officials Want Whiteface Road Fixed
Some Essex County officials are calling on the state to fix the popular scenic highway that travels up Whiteface Mountain near Lake Placid.
A member of the Essex County Board of Supervisors, Roby Politi, tells the Plattsburgh Press-Republican that the Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway is in terrible shape and unsafe. He says thousands of people drive up the toll road to the summit of Whiteface each year but the state has paid little attention to maintenance.
The highway is owned and operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority, which charges $10 per vehicle to drive it.
ORDA spokeswoman Wendy Townsley says some repairs are being done on the highway.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.