Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Fri May 10, 2013
Ex-State Lawmaker Gets 1 Year In NYC Fraud Case
A former New York state senator who admitted embezzling nearly $88,000 from a state-funded nonprofit she controlled has been sentenced to one year and one day in prison.
Shirley Huntley apologized for her crime as she was sentenced Thursday by a Brooklyn federal Judge. She pleaded guilty to mail fraud conspiracy and faced up to two years behind bars. She said she would try to use her remaining years to redeem herself to her family and community.
The Queens Democrat took office in 2007 and lost a re-election bid last year.
Government officials revealed last week that Huntley had been working with them to expose corruption, secretly recording nine people in her home. Two were charged. They refused to say whether any others would be charged.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.