Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Thu April 11, 2013
FairPoint Cuts 90 Northern New England Jobs
Northern New England's largest landline phone company is laying off 90 union-represented workers in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
FairPoint Communications says the layoffs will occur over the next several months. They come on top of the elimination of 30 management positions last month.
FairPoint anticipates paying out $5 million to $8 million in severance and incentive payments to the laid-off workers, and says the workforce reduction should save the company $11 million in annual expenses.
FairPoint is based in Charlotte, N.C., and provides Internet, landline telephone and other telecommunications services in 17 states.
Its largest holdings by far are in northern New England, where it has about 1,200 employees in Maine, about 1,100 in New Hampshire and nearly 500 in Vermont.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.