Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New England News
Wed May 22, 2013
Fallen Police Officers Honored At Ceremony
The 25th annual memorial service for western Massachusetts law enforcement officers was held on Wednesday in Springfield.
The solemn service honored 47 people who lost their lives in the last hundred plus years while protecting the public safety in western Massachusetts. Four names were added to the end of watch roll call this year. Westfield Police Officer Jose Torres died last July after he was struck by a truck while directing traffic. His widow and son Jay were at the ceremony
Also honored this year, Springfield Police Officer Kevin Ambrose, who was shot and killed last June after responding to a domestic disturbance, and Holyoke Police Officers James Reynolds and David Zolendziewski. Their deaths were tied to on-the-job injuries they’d sustained years ago. There’s a permanent memorial to the fallen officers on the campus of Springfield Technical Community College.