Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New York News
Tue July 31, 2012
Federal report tracks NY crime guns to many states
Federal data show most guns recovered from New York crimes last year originated in states with fewer legal restrictions, though the largest single source is still New York, where nearly 1,600 were first purchased. More from WAMC's Dave Lucas
The report by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced 8,793 guns from New York crimes or investigations. They include 407 guns originally bought in Virginia, 368 in Pennsylvania, 349 in North Carolina, 328 in South Carolina, 341 in Florida and 332 in Georgia.
ATF officials call New York "a market state" for gun traffickers because it is highly regulated. Its laws prohibit machine guns and possessing handguns without a license.
Their 2011 report tracks 6,555 pistols and revolvers and more than 2,000 rifles, shotguns and 15 firearms.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.