Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Hudson Valley News
Thu September 27, 2012
Feds, Local Police Bust Poughkeepsie Heroin Operation
Police and the FBI have broken a heroin distribution ring said to have been operating out of a cell-phone store in Poughkeepsie... WAMC's Dave Lucas reports
Law enforcement officers have eleven suspects in custody after what's described as a "co-ordinated takedown" was carried out Thursday morning. The Poughkeepsie Journal reports that a cellphone store on the corner of Main and Catharine streets was the target of a drug distribution-related search warrant.
The U.S. Attorney's office issued a release saying several city residents stand accused of storing, selling and coordinating the sale of heroin. It called the cellphone shop "the epicenter" of the heroin operation.
FBI investigators were observed taking several boxes out of the store: Hudson Valley Safe Streets Task Force, a coalition of regional and federal police, was also involved. The suspects were to be arraigned in White Plains federal court.
(c) 2012 WAMC