Most Active Stories
- Dr. Jeffrianne Wilder, University of North Florida – Skin Color and Racism
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Thu July 5, 2012
Feds Probe Downtown Forklift Crash in Springfield
Federal safety and health officials are investigating how a forklift plunged through a Springfield sidewalk into a cellar. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The Republican reported that the forklift operator, who was not identified, was hospitalized with minor injuries following the incident on Tuesday.
Fire Commissioner Joseph Contant said the operator was a MassMutual Center employee who had been moving large planters for the Springfield Business Improvement District.
Public Works Director Allan Chwalek said the heavy lift should not have been operated on city sidewalks. He said the lift may have fallen into an underground area that was once a coal chute.
The sight of the upended forklift that fell rear-end first into the cellar, its forks pointing toward the sky, slowed traffic and drew onlookers.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.