Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
WAMC New York News
Mon March 6, 2006
Fight continues over civil commitment
By Jessica Bloustein
Albany, NY – New York lawmakers from both houses are ironing out the details of civil commitment for the state's most violent convicted sex offenders. The push to keep sexual predators off the streets and protect communities has inspired quick action from the legislature--but has garnered the disapproval of mental health advocates and sex offender treatment providers.
WAMC's Capital District Bureau Chief Jessica Bloustein reports.