The fire chief of a western Massachusetts town collapsed and died late Tuesday night while fighting a house fire.
Massachusetts Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey announced the death of Montgomery Fire Chief Stephen Frye at a news conference Wednesday.
He said Frye, 59, joined the town’s volunteer fire department in 1983 and had been its chief for the last 17 years.
" I offer heartfelt condolences to the Frye family and to the Montgomery and area fire departments on this devastating loss," said Ostroseky.
After he collapsed outside the rear of the burning house, Frye was rushed to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to Ostroskey.
The two residents of the single story house escaped unharmed. The fire started accidentally in a chimney connected to a wood stove.