Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Thu January 17, 2013
Fire at SUNY Oneonta dorm displaces 177 students
ONEONTA, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a fire that displaced nearly 180 students living in a State University at Oneonta dormitory was sparked by the improper use of a power strip.
SUNY Oneonta officials say Thursday the fire started around 4 p.m. Wednesday because of the improper use of an electrical power strip in a bedroom in a third-floor suite in Matteson Hall.
Officials say the 177 residents of the dorm all got out safely from the four-story building. The fire was under control in less than an hour.
College officials say inspectors determined the building is structurally sound, but will remain closed while repairs are made. No estimate of when they could return is available.
The American Red Cross is assisting displaced students housed in Chase Gymnasium until other accommodations can be arranged.
- © 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.