Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New England News
Tue May 29, 2012
First Lady Sponsoring Future Navy Submarine
First lady Michelle Obama is sponsoring a future Navy submarine named after her home state. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The White House said Tuesday that the first lady has accepted an invitation to be the sponsor of the future USS Ilinois, a Virginia-class submarine being built in Groton, Conn., and Newport News, Va. The new attack submarine is expected to join the fleet in late 2015.
As sponsor, Mrs. Obama will be involved in the life of the submarine and establish a special link to the ship's sailors and their families.
Other first ladies have sponsored Navy submarines, including Laura Bush, wife of President George W. Bush, and Hillary Rodham Clinton, wife of President Bill Clinton.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.