Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue May 29, 2012
First Lady Sponsoring Future Navy Submarine
First lady Michelle Obama is sponsoring a future Navy submarine named after her home state. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The White House said Tuesday that the first lady has accepted an invitation to be the sponsor of the future USS Ilinois, a Virginia-class submarine being built in Groton, Conn., and Newport News, Va. The new attack submarine is expected to join the fleet in late 2015.
As sponsor, Mrs. Obama will be involved in the life of the submarine and establish a special link to the ship's sailors and their families.
Other first ladies have sponsored Navy submarines, including Laura Bush, wife of President George W. Bush, and Hillary Rodham Clinton, wife of President Bill Clinton.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.