Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New York News
Wed December 12, 2012
First section of WTC spire hoisted atop building
The first section of the spire that will crown One World Trade Center has been hoisted atop the building. It was lifted onto the 104-story building on Wednesday. More from WAMC’s Dave Lucas
Nine of 18 giant steel pieces of the spire arrived at the site in New York City Tuesday via barge from Port Newark, N.J.
The arrival marked the end of a 1,500-nautical-mile journey that started in Canada on Nov. 16.
A plant outside Montreal produced the 18 pieces. The spire will make the tower the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.
The remaining nine pieces of the 408-foot, $20 million spire are being trucked in from Canada and another plant in South Plainfield, N.J.
- © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.