Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Fri February 15, 2013
Fishermen Benefit From Clean-Plate Fine
Originally published on Fri February 15, 2013 8:39 am
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Linda Wertheimer.
Clean your plate. You heard that from your mom. Now a restaurant in Sapporo, Japan says that to its customers. If you order their signature dish, it's all you can eat - a bowl of rice topped with salmon roe - you must eat it all or pay a fine, which goes to hardworking fishermen. But one server says that hardly ever happens because most diners clean their plates.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.