Food Friday Recipe: Baked French Toast with Pecan Streusel Topping
Streusel Topping (Can be made a week in advance and kept refrigerated)
¼ pound butter, cut into small dice
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup pecans, finely chopped
Combine butter, brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl and blend well rubbing the ingredients between your hands in a back and forth motion until the mixture resembles small peas. Add in the chopped pecans and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Baked French Toast
1 Challah bread (1 pound)
3 tablespoons soft butter for baking dish
8 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
Maple syrup, warmed
1. Slice challah bread into ¾ inch slices
2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, half and half, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until blended.
3. Dip each slice of challah in the egg mixture and arrange and stagger the slices in a buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
4. Pour the remaining mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
5. On the next day, preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover French toast and sprinkle streusel evenly over the bread layers.
6. Place the foil back over the pan and place on the middle rack. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about another 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Serve with warm maple syrup.
Recipe by Chef Dale Miller, CMC, AAC, WGMC
President, Master Chef Consulting Group, LLC