Fri April 18, 2014
Food Friday Recipe: Eggs Benedict "Strata Style"
6 English muffins, split, lightly toasted and buttered
12 slices Canadian bacon, lightly fried on each side
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons shallot, minced
4 cups milk
8 large eggs
½ teaspoon nutmeg
3 teaspoons lemon zest
Dash of Tabasco
To taste salt and pepper
2 fresh parsley, chopped
Pan spray or soft butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray ramekins or pan with non-stick spray or lightly coat with soft butter. Place ½ of a prepared English muffin each in the bottom of twelve 8 ounces round ramekin and lay one slice of Canadian bacon on top or shingle the muffins and bacon in the bottom of a 9 inch by 13 inch rectangular casserole or cake pan.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan and lightly sauté the shallot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, shallots, nutmeg and lemon zest. Season to taste with a dash of Tabasco and salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture into ramekins (about ½ cup each) or if using a 9 x 13 inch pan pour mixture over muffins and bacon. Top with chopped parsley.
- Let sit for at least several hours and press down muffin and bacon if they are floating to the top. Bake in the center of 350°F oven until puffed, golden, firm to the touch or a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Allow the Strata to set for about 10 or 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings
A Strata is simply a version of custard and is the perfect make-ahead breakfast or brunch dish. Prepare the night before to allow the muffins time to soak up the savory custard. Bake it in the morning while the coffee brews and the table is being set. Better yet bake it 2 days in advance and refrigerate. When needed, just cover with foil and warm it in a low temperature oven (250°F) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Recipe by Chef Dale Miller, CMC, AAC, WGMC
President, Master Chef Consulting Group, LLC