Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline Route Moves North
Fri May 9, 2014
Food Friday Recipe: Rhubarb Bread
Tune into Food Friday this week, when Diane Whitten of the Saratoga County Cornell Cooperative Extension will join us to talk about growing your own food, and cooking with what you find at farmers markets. This recipe is from her cookbook, Farmers' Market Favorite Recipes.
½ cup buttermilk
1½ cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ - 2 cups chopped rhubarb
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon butter, softened
Mix buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla in mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Combine dry ingredients with the buttermilk mixture. Stir in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Combine sugar and butter, and crumble half over top of each pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Make 2 loaves (24 servings).
Per Serving: 180 calories; 9 g fat (1.5 g sat); 10 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium.