Most Active Stories
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- NYS Assemblyman, POK Mayor Pan Talk Of Gun Storage Ordinance
Fri May 9, 2014
Food Friday Recipe: Rhubarb Chili
Tune into Food Friday this week, when Diane Whitten of the Saratoga County Cornell Cooperative Extension will join us to talk about growing your own food, and cooking with what you find at farmers markets. This recipe is from her cookbook, Farmers' Market Favorite Recipes.
2 pounds tomatoes (about 3 cups)
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground beef (optional)
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 cups rhubarb, diced
30 ounces canned black beans
To prepare tomatoes blanch, remove skin and chop. In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion and garlic with olive oil and ground beef, if desired. Drain fat, if necessary. Add broth, blanched tomatoes, raisins, chili powder and allspice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rhubarb and black beans and simmer for another 15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings. 10 servings when made with beef.
Per Serving without beef: 190 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat); 0 g cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrate; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 510 mg sodium. Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Per Serving with beef: 240 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat);50 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 19 g protein 9 g fiber. Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Iron (25% dv).