Most Active Stories
Thu May 1, 2014
Food Friday Recipe: Summer Fruit Johnnycake
Tune into Food Friday this week, when Cheryl Paff, owner of Black-Eyed Suzie's traveling food stand in the Hudson Valley, will join us for a discussion of the spring harvest.
This recipe is adaptable to whatever fruit you find at the farmers’ market and it’s made with Wild Hive Farm’s wonderful corn flour which is also gluten free.
- 2 Cups Fruit* – Peaches, Apricots, Plums, Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Cherries, Rhubarb, Blackberries – If using larger fruit, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger or Ground Cardamom
- 1 Cup Wild Hive Farm Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter – softened
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Optional: Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350° Grease a 9” cake pan.
2. Gently toss the fruit with 2 Tbsp of sugar and the spice of your choice. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the corn flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, beat ½ cup sugar with the butter until creamy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
5. Add the corn flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just enough to combine. Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread into an even layer.
6. Arrange the fruit on top of the batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack and then sprinkle with a little sugar.
8. Slice and serve with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream. Serves 8.