Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Capital Region News
Tue August 13, 2013
Ford's 44th Season His Last At UAlbany
The longtime coach of the University at Albany’s football team says he will retire after the season.
Bob Ford has been a fixture in Capital Region sports since he took over what was then a newly reinstated club team in 1970. More than four decades later, Ford told reporters Tuesday afternoon that the Great Danes’ first season in their brand new stadium will be his last.
The Springfield College graduate has 264 career victories, and has shepherded the program through the jump to Division I in 1999 and a leap to the Colonial Athletic Association this year.
Speculation about the 75-year-old Ford’s future had been an annual summer rite around the Great Danes in recent years. In announcing his departure now, two weeks before the season kicks off, Ford has ensured that his 44th season will be his last.
UAlbany, meanwhile, will continue playing on Bob Ford Field.