Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
Hudson Valley News
Thu October 17, 2013
Formal Construction Begins On New TZ Bridge
TARRYTOWN – Actual construction of the new Tappan Zee Bridge is underway with installation of the first permanent piles that will comprise the foundation of the structure.
The twin-span project is expected to be completed in under five years, replacing the current bridge over the Hudson River connecting Rockland and Westchester counties, said spokesman Brian Conybeare.
“The pilings that will hold up the new Tappan Zee Bridge are now going into the river at the main span at the middle of the river,” Conybeare said.
Thruway Authority Chairman Howard Milstein said the bridge is the largest transportation project in North America and one of the largest construction contracts in New York State history.
The bridge is being designed and built by Tappan Zee Constructors, LLC, a consortium of design, engineer and construction firms.