Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Thu February 21, 2013
Former Acting College President Kills Self
The former acting president of Southern Vermont College has killed himself after being accused of embezzling $400,000 from the school.
Vermont State Police say James Beckwith was found dead in his home Wednesday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Beckwith was accused of taking the money between October 2012 and January, depositing it into his personal account, and using $260,000 to pay down two mortgages on his South Londonderry home. He was the former chief financial officer and chief operating officer of the small liberal arts school.
The U.S. Attorney's office said Thursday it filed a complaint alleging the home and account would be subject to forfeiture related to mail fraud and a money laundering charges.
Beckwith resigned from the college on Feb. 3 after being questioned about the matter.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.