Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Fri December 14, 2012
Former Clerk Charged with Stealing Thousands from City of Westfield, Mass.
A former clerk in the Westfield, Massachusetts collector's office has been charged with embezzling $110,000 from the city.
A formal complaint against Susan Duffy was filed in federal court yesterday. She is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday on charges of embezzlement and false income tax reporting.
She was hired by the city in April 2005 and fired in February 2011 when the alleged embezzlement was discovered.
The city hired an independent auditor, who confirmed the missing funds.
The Westfield News reports the theft became a federal case because it involved wire fraud, a violation of interstate commerce laws. Duffy faces tax charges because she failed to report the allegedly stolen income.
Neither she nor her attorney could be reached.
Mayor Daniel Knapik deferred comment until after Duffy's arraignment.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.