Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- MTA Police Identify Passengers Who Died In Metro-North Train Derailment
Mon June 17, 2013
Former Hitman To Testify At Bulger Trial
A former hitman who admits killing 20 people is expected to take the stand at the trial of reputed gangster James "Whitey" Bulger in Massachusetts.
John Martorano served a little over 12 years in prison after striking a cooperation deal with prosecutors. He was released in 2007.
The 83-year-old Bulger is charged in a 32-count racketeering indictment that accuses him of participating in 19 murders in the 1970s and '80s. He is also charged with extorting bookmakers, drug dealers and others running illegal businesses.
Martorano is one of three former Bulger loyalists who struck deals with prosecutors and agreed to testify against him. Bulger's former partner, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, and former Bulger lieutenant Kevin Weeks are also expected to be key prosecution witnesses.
Martorano is expected to testify today.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights Reserved.
New England News