Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Mon June 17, 2013
Former Hitman To Testify At Bulger Trial
A former hitman who admits killing 20 people is expected to take the stand at the trial of reputed gangster James "Whitey" Bulger in Massachusetts.
John Martorano served a little over 12 years in prison after striking a cooperation deal with prosecutors. He was released in 2007.
The 83-year-old Bulger is charged in a 32-count racketeering indictment that accuses him of participating in 19 murders in the 1970s and '80s. He is also charged with extorting bookmakers, drug dealers and others running illegal businesses.
Martorano is one of three former Bulger loyalists who struck deals with prosecutors and agreed to testify against him. Bulger's former partner, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, and former Bulger lieutenant Kevin Weeks are also expected to be key prosecution witnesses.
Martorano is expected to testify today.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights Reserved.
New England News