Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
New England News
Tue April 3, 2012
Former MA Treasurer Cahill Indicted on Corruption Charges
Former Massachusetts State Treasurer Timothy Cahill has been indicted on corruption charges stemming from his failed run for governor in 2010. WAMC's Paul Tuthill reports…
The charges against Cahill announced Monday by Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley allege that he directed the Massachusetts State Lottery to use $1.5 million in taxpayer funded advertising to promote his gubernatorial bid...
"We allege that's an unwarranted, unfair, and unlawful advantage and it's criminal in Massachusetts."
A grand jury indicted Cahill for violating state ethics laws and state procurement laws, as well as conspiracy. Each violation carries potential prison sentences of up to five years, and fines up to ten thousand dollars.
Cahill's former campaign manager and the former chief of staff at the lottery were also charged. Cahill's lawyer issued a statement expressing confidence that the former treasurer would be by a jury to have done no wrong.
Paul Tuthill, WAMC News.