Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Possible Modified Transmission Line Proposals Draw Cautious Praise
New England News
Fri November 9, 2012
Former Massachusetts Congressman Joe Early Dies
Long time Massachusetts Democratic Congressman Joseph Early has died at the age of 79. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Early, who was born and raised in blue collar Worcester, took great pride in representing his home region in the U.S House for 9 terms between 1975 and 1993. Congressman Jim McGovern of Worcester called Early an incredible public servent who fought tirelessly for working people. Early served in the Navy and taught school before he was elected to the state legislature in 1963. Early was caught up in a House banking scandal, and although he was not charged criminally, it led to him loosing his seat in the 1992 election. His son, Joseph Early Jr is the current Worcester District Attorney.