Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Wed November 21, 2012
Former U.S. Representative Martin of NY Dies at 68
Former North Country Congressman David Martin has died at the age of 68.
The O'Leary Funeral Home in Canton says Martin died Tuesday night at his home in Hedgesville, W. Va., under the care of hospice. The cause of death was not released, but he is expected to be buried in Arlington National Cemetary.
Martin served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1966 to 1970. He served in the state Assembly from 1977 to 1980. A Republican, he was elected to Congress in 1980 and served 6 terms until 1993 when he declined to run again.
He is credited for helping persuade the U.S. Army to station the reactivated 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum near Watertown.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.