Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Thu September 20, 2012
Former Vermont Reporter Dies in NH Kayaking Accident
The kayaker who died on a dangerous stretch of New Hampshire's West Pemigewasset River has been identified as a Vermont man who worked as a reporter and for a river conservation group.
Lincoln police say the victim of Wednesday's accident was 29-year-old Alan Panebaker of Montpelier, Vt. An experienced kayaker, he was with two others when his kayak overturned south of the Flume Gorge and he became trapped under water.
Heavy rains the previous night created dangerous conditions on many of the state's rivers.
Until July, Panebaker worked for the news organization VTDigger.org, which described him as a bright and talented man with a keen sense of humor.
Gov. Peter Shumlin also expressed his condolences Thursday, saying Panebaker was a fair, thorough and informative reporter.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.