Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Fri September 21, 2012
Former Western Mass. Prep School Campus Donated To Christian University
The owners of an historic campus in the hills of western Massachusetts announced plans Friday to give it away to Christian college from Arizona that plans to eventually bring 5,000 students in. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports
The campus that once housed the Northfield Mount Herman prep school will become the new home for Grand Canyon Unversity, the firs for –profit Christian school in the country. The school expects to spend over $100 million on infrastructure and other improvements and welcome its first students in 2014. Although there is a promise for huge economic development, there’s also uncertainty about the impact in Northfield,, which has a population of just under 1100 people. The former prep school which was founded by an evangelist in the 19th century, closed in 2005. It was purchased by the owners of an Oklahoma based chain of craft stores, who offered to give it away to a group that would commit to traditional Christian teachers.