Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Fri November 2, 2012
Fracking is big election theme in NY's gas region
In some southern New York communities likely to get shale gas wells if Gov. Andrew Cuomo lifts a moratorium on drilling, "fracking" is a key issue in Tuesday's election. Both opponents and supporters are working to get out the vote and candidates up and down the ballot are talking about it. More from WAMC's Dave Lucas.
Local races are viewed as crucial, since dozens of town boards around the state have voted this year to ban or put a moratorium on gas drilling while other elected bodies passed resolutions making it clear they won't oppose gas drilling.
The Joint Landowners Coalition of New York, which supports hydraulic fracturing, has released a list of political endorsements for about 20 candidates statewide. A coalition of gas-drilling opponents in Broome County has released its own list of endorsements.
© 2012 Associated Press