Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Capital District News
Mon October 15, 2012
Fracking Supporters Set to Demonstrate in Albany
Supporters of using hydraulic fracturing to produce natural gas are set to demonstrate in Albany.
Hundreds of people are expected to rally at the Corning Preserve on the Hudson River and then march to a park near the Capitol for speeches by elected officials and labor leaders at midday Monday.
The technology known as "fracking" to free gas from deep in the Marcellus Shale is backed by industry and others who say it will be an economic boon for upstate New York.
Opponents cite environmental concerns, including damage to groundwater from the high volumes of water and chemicals injected into the earth.
Regulators are reviewing the issues and rules that would be put in place if Gov. Andrew Cuomo lifts the current moratorium on fracking.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press