Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Thu May 23, 2013
Freedom Rider: Congressman John Lewis
Congressman John Lewis was one of the "Big Six" leaders in the American Civil Rights Movement and chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Lewis was 21 years old in 1961, when he became one of thirteen original "freedom riders" - seven whites and six blacks who were determined to ride from Washington, DC, to New Orleans in an integrated fashion, to end racial discrimination in public transportation .
Capital Region Bureau Chief Dave Lucas recently spoke with Congressman Lewis , who talks about the significance of the freedom ride and opines about Barack Obama's presidency. Lewis also shares some of the talking points he intends to convey to area students and gives his take on the state of Congress today.