Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Wed September 26, 2012
Gambling Commission Looks To Issue First Casino License In 2014
The first casino license in Massachusetts may not be issued until late February 2014 under a schedule proposed Tuesday by gaming industry regulators. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The master schedule proposed to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission was called “ prudent” by commission Chairman Stephen Crosby.
The schedule calls for casino operators to file applications by the end of this year. Background checks on the companies and key employees would take a minimum of six months. Local communities would not be permitted to schedule voter referendums on casino developments until the background investigations are finished. Industry officials have estimated it would be three years from the time a casino license is issued to the opening of the first casino in Massachusetts One casino license can be awarded in western Massachusetts. Several companies are interested in building in Springfield. Mohegan Sun has proposed a casino in Palmer.