Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Wed September 12, 2012
Gambling Commissioners, Springfield City Officials Clash
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission is urging Springfield to put the brakes on its casino competition. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports
The state’s gaming industry regulators and Springfield city officials clashed Tuesday over the city’s plans to evaluate casino development proposals and have a binding voter referendum this Spring. Commissioner James McHugh said the commission would not be ready to evaluate a license application by then.
Springfield’s chief development official ,Kevin Kennedy, pushed back on suggestions the city waitAs many as four casino operators are expected to make proposals to build a resort casino in Springfield. Only one casino license can be issued in Western Massachusetts.