Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New York News
Mon April 30, 2012
Gas-Drilling Protesters to March on NY Capitol
Young people from around New York state are heading to the Capitol to call on Governor Andrew Cuomo to ban "fracking" for natural gas and lead the state toward a clean energy economy.
The Green Umbrella, a network of college students fighting climate change, held a conference in Albany over the weekend. On Monday, they'll be demonstrating against hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which frees natural gas from shale. Critics say it threatens drinking water supplies and causes other environmental damage.
Demonstrators will gather at Albany's Corning Preserve along the Hudson River and then march to the Capitol. Along the way, they're planning theatrics including a mock "wedding" between gas companies and politicians.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.