Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New York News
Mon April 30, 2012
Gas-Drilling Protesters to March on NY Capitol
Young people from around New York state are heading to the Capitol to call on Governor Andrew Cuomo to ban "fracking" for natural gas and lead the state toward a clean energy economy.
The Green Umbrella, a network of college students fighting climate change, held a conference in Albany over the weekend. On Monday, they'll be demonstrating against hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which frees natural gas from shale. Critics say it threatens drinking water supplies and causes other environmental damage.
Demonstrators will gather at Albany's Corning Preserve along the Hudson River and then march to the Capitol. Along the way, they're planning theatrics including a mock "wedding" between gas companies and politicians.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.