Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Glens Falls Prepares For Basketball Tournament Weekend
Tue September 25, 2012
General Dynamics Lays Off 50 in Vermont, 30 in Maine
General Dynamics is laying off about 50 employees in Vermont and 30 in Maine.
Company communications director Karl Johnson attributes the layoffs to the company completing its work on special armor for military vehicles and a decline in demand for guns.
He says the cuts will be to both hourly and salaried employees in administrative, engineering, management and manufacturing support.
The layoffs will be in Williston and in Saco, Maine.
Johnson says the workers were notified on Monday and will receive a severance package. He says two employees also will be laid off at the company's headquarters in Charlotte, N.C.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.