Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Hudson Valley News
Thu March 28, 2013
Giffords, Kelly To Deliver College Commencement Address
A former congressional representative and her husband will deliver the commencement address at a college in the Hudson Valley.
Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, retired space shuttle Commander Mark Kelly, will deliver the address at Bard College’s commencement May 25. Giffords, a Democrat, was among 13 people wounded in a January 2011 shooting outside a Tucson, Arizona supermarket during a political event. Six others died. Giffords will receive an honorary doctorate of humane letters from the Annandale-on-Hudson college. Honorary degrees will also be awarded to four others, including New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, and chef and activist Alice Waters, who is considered a pioneer in promoting and using local, organic, and sustainable ingredients.