Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Hinsdale Residents Call For Select Chair's Resignation
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
Hudson Valley News
Thu March 28, 2013
Giffords, Kelly To Deliver College Commencement Address
A former congressional representative and her husband will deliver the commencement address at a college in the Hudson Valley.
Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, retired space shuttle Commander Mark Kelly, will deliver the address at Bard College’s commencement May 25. Giffords, a Democrat, was among 13 people wounded in a January 2011 shooting outside a Tucson, Arizona supermarket during a political event. Six others died. Giffords will receive an honorary doctorate of humane letters from the Annandale-on-Hudson college. Honorary degrees will also be awarded to four others, including New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, and chef and activist Alice Waters, who is considered a pioneer in promoting and using local, organic, and sustainable ingredients.