Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Hudson Valley News
Thu March 28, 2013
Giffords, Kelly To Deliver College Commencement Address
A former congressional representative and her husband will deliver the commencement address at a college in the Hudson Valley.
Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, retired space shuttle Commander Mark Kelly, will deliver the address at Bard College’s commencement May 25. Giffords, a Democrat, was among 13 people wounded in a January 2011 shooting outside a Tucson, Arizona supermarket during a political event. Six others died. Giffords will receive an honorary doctorate of humane letters from the Annandale-on-Hudson college. Honorary degrees will also be awarded to four others, including New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, and chef and activist Alice Waters, who is considered a pioneer in promoting and using local, organic, and sustainable ingredients.