Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Wed November 14, 2012
Gillibrand Announces Farm-to-School Initiative for Poughkeepsie Schools
U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand has announced a federal grant of $100,000 that will go to the Poughkeepsie City School District to establish a farm-to-school initiative. More from WAMC's Dave Lucas.
Gillibrand says the initiative's primary goals are to incorporate regionally produced foods into school meals, and to enhance foods systems education. At each stage in the project, there will be collaboration between Hudson Valley farmers, value-added processors, distributors, school administrative staff, families, students and community stakeholders.
The funding is being allocated through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Gillibrand worked hard to include the farm-to-school initiative as part of the Healthy, Hunger Free Schools Act that passed in 2010.