Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Mon December 17, 2012
GOP declares Amedore victory in NY 46th
Republicans have declared victory in the last Senate race that remained unresolved after November's elections. That strengthens the hand of Republicans in a bipartisan coalition that will run the chamber beginning Jan. 1. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos says Monday that Assemblyman George Amedore has won the 46th District race over Democrat Ceclia Tkaczyk .
(There is a challenge: Tkaczyk's campaign says it will appeal the decision).
The district was created by the Republicans earlier this year to help protect their majority in a state where Democrats have a nearly 2-to-1 voter enrollment advantage.
A week ago, the Republicans appeared to have lost the majority and struck a deal with the five breakaway members of the Independent Democratic Conference.
That unprecedented bipartisan coalition will control legislation, perks and committee assignments for the next two years.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.