Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New York News
Mon December 17, 2012
GOP declares Amedore victory in NY 46th
Republicans have declared victory in the last Senate race that remained unresolved after November's elections. That strengthens the hand of Republicans in a bipartisan coalition that will run the chamber beginning Jan. 1. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos says Monday that Assemblyman George Amedore has won the 46th District race over Democrat Ceclia Tkaczyk .
(There is a challenge: Tkaczyk's campaign says it will appeal the decision).
The district was created by the Republicans earlier this year to help protect their majority in a state where Democrats have a nearly 2-to-1 voter enrollment advantage.
A week ago, the Republicans appeared to have lost the majority and struck a deal with the five breakaway members of the Independent Democratic Conference.
That unprecedented bipartisan coalition will control legislation, perks and committee assignments for the next two years.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.