Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu March 27, 2014
Gov. Patrick: A Healthcare Facility Needed In North Adams
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has weighed in on the decision to close North Adams Regional Hospital this upcoming Friday and lay off 530 workers.
In a statement sent to WAMC News Wednesday, Governor Patrick says he is very concerned about the closing and after working all weekend he thought the state had found a solution right up until Tuesday’s announcement. The Democrat says he doesn’t think the situation is over and that there needs to be a healthcare facility in North Adams. Democratic State Senator Ben Downing of Pittsfield agrees.
Parent company Northern Berkshire Healthcare will file bankruptcy and cease operations after the hospital and three other medical practices it owns close.