Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Tue August 7, 2012
Gov. Patrick Signs Jobs Bill
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has signed legislation designed to spur economic development and job creation.. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The law creates a $50 million fund to be used by the state’s public universities to compete for matching grants for research projects. University research can lead to products and technologies that form the basis for new companies, and provide training for people to work in skilled jobs, according to UMass Amherst spokesman Ed Blagazueski.
The law also has provisions for several tax breaks and grants to help grow businesses. It provides $5 million for job training for the unemployed and under employed. It also authorizes the two day sales tax holiday, August 11 and 12..