Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New England News
Tue August 7, 2012
Gov. Patrick Signs Jobs Bill
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has signed legislation designed to spur economic development and job creation.. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The law creates a $50 million fund to be used by the state’s public universities to compete for matching grants for research projects. University research can lead to products and technologies that form the basis for new companies, and provide training for people to work in skilled jobs, according to UMass Amherst spokesman Ed Blagazueski.
The law also has provisions for several tax breaks and grants to help grow businesses. It provides $5 million for job training for the unemployed and under employed. It also authorizes the two day sales tax holiday, August 11 and 12..