Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Hudson Valley News
Wed January 23, 2013
Governor Cuomo Proposes Two Prison Closures
In Governor Andrew Cuomo’s proposed 2013-2014 budget, he recommends closing two prisons in New York. One is in Dutchess County. Governor Cuomo proposed closing two of the least efficient prison facilities in the state. One is Bayview in Manhattan. The other is the Beacon Correctional Facility, a female, minimum-security prison, which he says has a 53-percent vacancy rate.
He said closing the two facilities will impact 273 positions, all of which can be absorbed in the current system.