Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Hudson Valley News
Wed January 23, 2013
Governor Cuomo Proposes Two Prison Closures
In Governor Andrew Cuomo’s proposed 2013-2014 budget, he recommends closing two prisons in New York. One is in Dutchess County. Governor Cuomo proposed closing two of the least efficient prison facilities in the state. One is Bayview in Manhattan. The other is the Beacon Correctional Facility, a female, minimum-security prison, which he says has a 53-percent vacancy rate.
He said closing the two facilities will impact 273 positions, all of which can be absorbed in the current system.